First Annual Whiskey Rebellion Festival, September 3, 2017
10.00- 4.00 (meet Washington & the reenactors until 5.00)
This year marks the countdown to the 225th Anniversary of the Whiskey Rebellion in 2019. Join us as we partner with Greater Carlisle Heart & Soul to begin the celebrations in 2017. This year will feature a tour on the history of the Whiskey Rebellion at 10.00, 18th century historical interpretation in Cumberland County Historical Society’s Pocket Park, and a reenactment of Present George Washington’s entry into Carlisle.
This is a family friendly event.
Highlights of the Fesitval
Reenactment of George Washington’s entry into Carlisle, 3.00 at the Old Cumberland County Courthouse
Meet and greet with President Washington, 4.00 at Cumberland County Historical Society (ends at 5.00)
Free guided tours featuring the 18th century history of Carlisle at 10.00 (History of the Whiskey Rebellion) and 1.00 (Carlisle Tavern Tour)
Children’s craft activities in the History on High Workshop
Demonstrations and talks on 18th century Life
Vendors and used book sale
Whiskey Tastings and live music at 1794 The Whiskey Rebellion (Comfort Suites, 10 S Hanover St.), 12-4.30
Vendors and Events at Cumberland County Historical Society
- Historic Carlisle
- Dill’s Tavern sour mash demonstration
- Edgeware Jewelry
- Author Joe Cress
- CCHS used book sale
- Food and drink for sale
- Robert Bolton, Military Supply Goods Display
- Dale Zimmerman, 18thc German farmer portrayal
- Brian Newman, 18thc Mortise and pestol for grinding corn
- Mike Lear, 18thc wood working tools
- 18thc medical supplies
- Voter registration drive by Cumberland Valley Rising
- Miller’s Eighteenth Century Games
G.B. Stuart History Workshop Activities
- Handkerchief stamping
- Craft with Create-A-Palooza
Free Walking Tours
- 10:00 – This walking tour will feature of the history of Carlisle in 1794. You will walk to several locations and hear about the people involved in the Rebellion, why it occurred, and the role Carlisle played in suppressing the Rebellion. You will not be going inside any buildings for this tour, therefore, it is a pet friendly walk.
- 1.00 – This tour will features the taverns of Carlisle. You will start in the Historical Society with a short talk by Merri Lou Schaumann on the history of taverns in Carlisle in the late 18th century. We will then walk to East Street and tour a restoration project currently underway at the McManus House (formerly the Eagle and Harp Tavern). Afterwards we walk to the Carlisle Square where you watch the reenactment or enjoy a whiskey tasting in 1794 The Whiskey Rebellion.
All tours will start in the Cumberland County Historical Society. Sign up in advance is not necessary.
Tastings & Music at 1794 The Whiskey Rebellion
- Join Dill’s Tavern for a tasting and to learn more about whiskey in 1794.
- Entertainment from 12-4.30
11.30: Carlisle residents march with effigy from Cumberland County Old Courthouse to CCHS
3.00: A Carlisle citizen’s address to President Washington & Pres. Washington’s speech to Carlisle.
4.00: Meet President Washington and the reenactors portraying soldiers during the Rebellion.
Please visit our schedule page for a full list of events. If you would like to be a vendor please contact Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org